Monday, July 16, 2007

patiently anticipate.

What have you been waiting for? A new job? A child? Perhaps a financial breakthrough? Maybe it's a loved one and you have been waiting for them to get their act together. There are a number of things you could be waiting for:
  • an apology

  • a husband

  • test results

  • a phone call

  • the grief to pass

  • a vacation

  • your turn in line

  • a cure

  • an answer

  • a miracle
So, how are you when it comes to waiting? The dictionary defines waiting as "to stay, serve, or attend to; to patiently anticipate." [emphasis added].

I used to have a lot of trouble in this area. When I wanted something to happen, I expected it to happen RIGHT NOW. I would creatively manage my circumstances, skillfully maneuvering what I could so I would not have to wait. Waiting made me feel irritable, impatient, and stressed.

I later realized that waiting wasn't the problem, it was me! God put me in a "waiting room" of sorts for three years. I tried to push things along - working the situation from several different angles. Nothing worked; I was stuck and forced to WAIT IT OUT!I leaned in on God to help me during that time and found great wisdom, comfort, and encouragement in scripture. The following verses really struck a cord within me:


Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. Psalm 40:1

I wait for you, O Lord; you will answer, O Lord my God. Psalm 38:15

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you, Lord. Isaiah 26:3

We rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. Romans 5:2-4

Instead of running away from my situation, I sought His direction and purpose within it; amazingly, every one of these verses became truth in my life.

Journaling Ideas: Think back to that time (or to a current "waiting room" of your own) and try to find God's fingerprints on your situation. Are you trying (or did you try) to run away from the situation? How can you (or did you) make the most of the situation? Are you waiting (or, did you wait) with patient anticipation? What kind of character growth resulted from the wait? Create a scrapbook page about a time of waiting in your own life. Look for verses that speak to you and include them on your page.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina
Thank you for this post. It is what I need! I just found out that I did not get a job, which I thought for sure I nailed the interview and would be offered a position. I am still waiting for God to guide me to the perfect teaching job for me. I want it to be this fall, but maybe I am in his "waiting room" right now. My mom keeps telling me to "be still", he has a plan for me....I am trying to be patient and listen for "his whispher". I hope I hear it soon...or maybe I have heard it, but I don't know it is him! I LOVE your blogs and I can't wait to get started on my album! Have a great day!

Tina Vega said...

I especially love reading this now, after hearing your God Moment story via email (which, by the way, I'll be sharing soon). Thank you so much for sharing Molly!!