Thursday, August 9, 2007

Life is messy sometimes.

mess·y /ˈmɛsi/ –adjective, mess·i·er, mess·i·est.

1. characterized by a dirty, untidy, or disordered condition.
2. causing a mess.
3. embarrassing, difficult, or unpleasant.
4. characterized by moral or psychological confusion.

Not only can my house look messy but I begin to FEEL like it with too much time away from a schedule. My biggest problem is not the mess, but learning to deal with it. Instead of focusing on the things scattered around me (circumstances, emotions, LEGOS), I need to pull back and take a look at what is really important; it's time to simplify. This is where I have found God's word (the Bible) to be very helpful; it's my "how-to" manual for the way I live and order my thoughts.

Joyce Meyer just came out with a new book "100 Ways to Simply Your Life" - here's a sampling of the chapters:
  • Keep God First
  • Learn How to Say No
  • Get Your Mind Off Yourself
  • Be Satisfied with What You Have
  • Don't Worry about Tomorrow
  • Avoid Excess
  • Choose Quality over Quantity
  • Don't Be Easily Offended
  • Be Realistic in Your Expectations
  • Don't Be Judgmental
  • Live with Margin
  • Cultivate Solitude
Each chapter is written around a particular Bible verse - simple and to the point. It's a great book.

My goals for today: (1) to focus less on the tasks and more on the relationships around me; (2) to live in and enjoy the moment; (3) to watch my thinking and words.

Journaling Ideas:Reflect on the definition of "messy" above. What kind of mess do you have in your life right now? What do you do when life becomes disordered? What is your personality like in the face of physical or mental clutter - do you just "go with the flow" or are you more of a "list maker"? Look at your priorities - what is really important to you right now? What could you do to simplify things?

post signature

No comments: