Monday, October 22, 2007

more from the party...

Ren is our youngest child, silly and sociable by nature. He is outgoing and adapts easily to new situations. That is, until yesterday.

Something came over him at Meeley's birthday party. He felt intimidated by the 9-10 year old boys and wanted nothing to do with them! He even skipped out on pumpkin painting and almost ditched the "decorate-your-own-cookie" activity until we told him he could do it alone. I took this picture of Ren sneaking a peek at the fun through our dining room window. Isn't that sad? He wasn't happy watching from afar but fear kept him from enjoying all the fun.

How many times have your fears kept you from enjoying life? I lived for years with a nagging sense of discontent and unease. Fear could have been my middle name! Here are some things I was afraid of:

  • Losing relationships close to me.
  • Failure. I'd often sabotage myself because I couldn't fail if I just quit.
  • Success, so naturally I'd sabotage myself.
  • Being "found out" - there were a lot of secrets and lies in my life.

I never realized the weight I carried until it was gone! I still get scared at times (for my children, speaking in front of large groups, during transitions) but one thing has changed. Though I may still feel incapable of handling what is before me, Christ gives me the strength I need (Philippians 4:13). When fears, worry, or dread come poking around, I pray. Instead of rehearsing the worst-case scenario, I fill myself with verses on courage and strength:

  • "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand," says the Lord. Isaiah 41:10

  • "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go," says the Lord. Joshua 1:9

  • Do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. Hebrews 10:35-36.

Don't let your fears prevent you for enjoying all God has to offer!

No comments: