Monday, October 15, 2007

October Faithbooking Lesson

Here's the lesson from our crop on Saturday (just click on it to enlarge). With each monthly lesson, I try to offer ideas that are light and fun with the option of taking it deeper. Something for everyone. Those who attend the monthly crop receive the lesson, along with a photo of the page I've created, and supplies to create their own. Since you don't have the benefit of seeing my page, I will explain what I did and how the idea came about.

I wanted to do a page that showcased my oldest son's fashion sense. Meeley is very particular about what he will and will not wear: no blue jeans, no stripes or funky sayings/expressions, t-shirts are better without pockets, football jerseys and track pants are always okay. To top it off, he really wants a mullet (the jury is still out on this one). He clearly knows what he likes (and doesn't) and I really wanted to capture that on a page - it hints at Meeley's personality and growing sense of style. You could do this page for anyone, including yourself - just think how fun it would be to look back on!

I decided to take it deeper by coming at it from a parent perspective - by taking a look at the things shaping (fashioning, influencing) him. We put a lot of thought into what our children are exposed to - for good reason. As I was preparing the lesson, a few things really hit home. I shared these personal reflections on the page I created.

I want my kids to know me. I want them to learn from me. Someday, they might realize we are a lot alike or that we have faced similar struggles or that the world is a completely different place. I want my albums to touch the lives of my grandchildren, great-grandchildren and beyond. Who knows how long I'll even be here? Maybe these albums will be the only influence I have on my children as they face life's challenges. I have many hopes, dreams, and prayers that I'd like them to know when the time is right. What if I'm not here to tell them?

No comments: