Thursday, November 8, 2007

rainy days and mondays...

You know the feeling. The subtle, nagging feeling of ICK that creeps in. What do you do when you are feeling down?

Here's what I used to do:
  • Complain. Talk about the problem or rotten feeling over and over and over again until my problem seemed REALLY HUGE.
  • Ignore. Do everything possible to avoid even thinking about it. This usually resulted in "spillover" with problems popping out other areas of my life.
  • Freak. Have a major PMS moment (or multiple moments).
My way never took care of the problem. In fact, it usually made things worse!

The Bible has a lot to say about how we handle stress, depression, and anxiety - in fact, it has a lot to say about life in general. Now when that icky feeling creeps in, I follow God's advice:
  • Pray. Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray... James 5:13 (NIV)
  • Praise and magnify Him. Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, My Help and My God. Psalm 43:5 (NRSV)
  • Wait expectantly. But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Micah 7:7 (NASB)
Even my years of counseling cannot compare to His wisdom! When I don't know what to do, I go to the One who does.

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 (AMP)

post signature

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Did I need to hear that today! I guess crying while I do laundry just won't do the trick - I LOVE your blog and look for a new entry everyday- Thanks!! Sue Rima

Amy said...

Ok, I totally have my PMS moments (just ask my kids and Chad!) but I have to agree that praise music can be so uplifting. Nothing like a good Nichole Nordeman, Sara Groves, Mark Schultz, or M W Smith song for me.
Can I just add that the picture of E in the rain is so darn pitiful! Makes me chilled and dreary just looking at it!

Tina Vega said...

Hi Sue!!!!! What a wonderful surprise to see your comment; I've been missing you!

I am so glad you're enjoying the blog and I hope to see your sweet smile soon.

Tina Vega said...

I so agree with you Amy!!! On both counts!

Amy said...

Emma just saw this picture this morning-and said, "Who is that?" When I said, "Emilio", she got a very sad look on her face and said, "He looks soooooooo sad!" Glad to hear that he is already feeling more like himself since stopping that medication.