You know the feeling. The subtle, nagging feeling of ICK that creeps in. What do you do when you are feeling down?
Here's what I used to do:
- Complain. Talk about the problem or rotten feeling over and over and over again until my problem seemed REALLY HUGE.
- Ignore. Do everything possible to avoid even thinking about it. This usually resulted in "spillover" with problems popping out other areas of my life.
- Freak. Have a major PMS moment (or multiple moments).
My way never took care of the problem. In fact, it usually made things worse!
The Bible has a lot to say about how we handle stress, depression, and anxiety - in fact, it has a lot to say about life in general. Now when that icky feeling creeps in, I follow God's advice:
- Pray. Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray... James 5:13 (NIV)
- Praise and magnify Him. Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, My Help and My God. Psalm 43:5 (NRSV)
- Wait expectantly. But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Micah 7:7 (NASB)
Even my years of counseling cannot compare to His wisdom! When I don't know what to do, I go to the One who does.
Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 (AMP)