Friday, January 11, 2008

the spill over, part 2

I was talking about God's purpose for our lives when I last posted... Beth talked about those times in life we experience trials/tribulations; times of great difficulty and suffering. Through Scripture, she showed us how God stays consistent with our purpose... always.

This means that He would only allow such pain if it were critical to me serving His purpose in my generation.

Looking back, I can clearly see the truth of this statement reflected in my own life. As most of you know, I struggled with addiction for many years. During that time (more so than any other in my life) I was PLAGUED by trouble.

Self-induced trouble but trouble nonetheless.

I did everything in my power to sustain the addiction and my life was a mess. The thing I had the most trouble with? My mouth. I was a compulsive liar and extremely manipulative, hurting myself and many around me. And it all stemmed from my mouth... the very same tool God has chosen to use for His purpose!

Interesting, isn't it?

All of that pain? Necessary. Needed. It led me to Him. It refined me. He used it to shape my mouth. He took my ugliness and turned it into something beautiful. Only God...

I was listening to a song this morning that spoke to my heart.

I called
You came to the rescue
Now I want to be where you are...

He wants to come to your rescue as well, no matter where you are. He wants to bring freedom, peace, joy, and contentment into your life. Will you let Him?

post signature

2 comments:

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Wow! Once again, I feel like our hearts are beating to the same drum sweet friend. Beautiful post- beautifully written.

Amy said...

What a great post-sure speaks to me. Thanks for your openness and sharing on such a personal level. Love you!