Wednesday, June 18, 2008

i think they're on to us

Ren approached me yesterday with tears in his eyes, "You went to Dairy Queen?"

"What makes you think that?" I asked evasively.

"I found this receipt on the counter." (Oops.)

Then Meeley confronted me today with, "Have you and Pa been making secret trips to Dairy Queen?" (Um... yeah.)

"Why do you ask?" I innocently replied.

"Because I've found Dairy Queen stuff in the garbage a couple of times now." (We never thought to bury the evidence.)

I explained to the boys that there are "special things" husbands and wives do together, late at night after the children go to bed. (Ice cream, ladies, I'm talking ice cream - Peanut Butter Cup and Butterfinger Blizzards to be exact.)

Journaling Ideas: What kinds of "special things" do you do with your husband? If you're not married, how do you treat yourself once in a while? What makes it feel like such an indulgence? Does your late-night ice cream run (for example) have any connection to childhood promises to DQ that were never kept? I tease because one of my childhood friends would bribe us to play with promises of banana splits and rides in her dad's convertible... many of my childhood DQ moments are tied to Tanya. Do you have any childhood memories or moments tied to your grown-up indulgences (shopping, perfume, bubble baths, etc.)? If so, what is the connection?

post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be ashamed of yourselves... Depriving your own children of the very treats:) This made me laugh because I can picture the conversation:)
Lynn T

Tina Vega said...

That's so funny, my own mother and sister-in-law told me the very same thing today.

You know, we're only as good to our children as we are each other...

Amy said...

Yep, you'll be known as the mom and dad who snuck DQ when the kids were asleep...they'll be in therapy as adults wondering why their car can't pass a DQ without stopping in for a blizzard. :P Hee hee!

Tina Vega said...

Too, just for the record, the children are not left at home alone.

The hubby and I take turns with the secret runs. It adds an element of intrigue to our relationship.