Sunday, September 28, 2008

Here am I. Send me!


If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you've heard me talk about worldviews and truth, taking thoughts captive, and the importance of acting on God's Word. Yesterday, I attended an incredible conference that touched on each of these areas in preparation for a 12-week video-driven study I plan to host in my home later this year. (If you're interested in learning more, let me know.)

I can hardly wait to get started!

The purpose of the series is to call to light many of the assumptions we have as Christians, thoughts and ideas that have never been tested or challenged. We touched on many things during the course of the day but the thing that sticks out most was the reminder that if I am living the way God is directing me through His Word, change is inevitable. When we gaze upon the face of God we cannot help but be transformed. His Word brings to light not only the brokenness within ourselves but helps us to clearly see the state of world around us. As we become more like Christ, we become sensitive to those in need around us - the outcasts, those who are lonely, sick, and poor, those without hope - and are driven to help. God leads us to serve those around us. He gives us His heart and we become His hands and feet.

Unfortunately, many of us are ensnared by bitterness, resentment, and hostility as we meditate on all that is unfair. Some might be suffering themselves and think, "How can I help someone else when I can't even help myself?" We lack time and resources. We might even think the job of helping others belongs to someone else or perhaps even some social institution. But according to God's Word, the job belongs to each and every one of us!

Today's sermon, of course, touched on the very same thing. (He certainly has my attention.) May the Lord prepare your heart and mine so that when He asks, we are ready and willing to go.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

post signature

3 comments:

Tina Vega said...

I forgot to mention that the video featured in the clip is by MercyMe (Here I Am).

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina:

I would love to know more about the bible study - let me know what you are thinking.

Jan

Tina Vega said...

just shot you off an email :-)