Tuesday, October 28, 2008

contrary to popular belief...

The Bible offers intelligent answers to life's questions.

Did you know there are some, considered "well-educated" by today's standards (lawyers, doctors, professors, scientists, psychologists, engineers, architects and others) who believe in the authenticity and inerrancy of the Bible? Faith for many is strengthened by critical thinking and deepened as they search for answers.

Not the stuff of fairy tales.

I've been on both sides of the fence. Before ever really spending time in the Bible, I'd made a lot of assumptions:

"It's outdated."
"Some of it works for me."
"Surely God couldn't have meant it that way."
"These are just guidelines."

In all honesty, I didn't like a lot of what it said because it didn't jive with where I was at in my life. To believe it to be true would be costly. It would require me to make changes and I liked things the way they were.

It wasn't until life became uncomfortable that I decided to look into things further. I began researching different faith groups online and kept coming back to the Bible. I had a lot of questions that needed answers so I kept digging. (All the while, great difficulties surrounded me.) As I began to apply what I was learning from the Bible to my life, amazing things happened:

1. I found a sense of direction and purpose during a very dark time in my life.
2. I discovered what it meant to have peace and joy no matter what the circumstances.
3. For the first time in my life, I was truly content.

That was five years ago and the Bible continues to amaze me. There are many who would consider me foolish for believing it to be completely true and free of error. But I've never been so sure of anything in my life. It's not fairy tale stuff, but reading His Word and seeing it come to life in the everyday. It's looking for answers and seeing things come together like a giant puzzle. It is recognizing Him in the stories that surround me, in each woman I encounter. His Word simply put, lines up.

Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will in thought, purpose and action). So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

post signature

3 comments:

Amy said...

Speak it, Sister Tina! Amen! :)

Amy said...

I don't know what got into little reserved Lutheran me there-its like a southern Baptist took over my fingertips at the keyboard! :) And I mean that in a GOOD way!

Tina Vega said...

That's what happens when you get a little Beth Moore in your system...