Thursday, November 20, 2008

the power of absolute surrender

magnificent sunset


sur·ren·der (sə-rěn'dər)
–noun

The act of surrendering; the act of yielding, or resigning one's person, or the possession of something, into the power of another.
When becoming a Christian, we acknowledge our failings and need for a Savior. We recognize God's perfect gift in His Son and invite the Holy Spirit into our lives. In essence, we surrender ourselves to His perfect plan and will for our lives.

But many of us struggle with the surrender part. I know for myself, His plan seemed obvious. I assumed God would want what I wanted because it was a good plan. The problem was that instead of seeking God and yielding my life before Him, I expected the Lord to come alongside my plan to make it happen. I beat myself up for many years wondering, "Why, God, why?" while He waiting patiently for me to ask, "What, God, what?"

And what a difference that has made.

I heard a portion of a great sermon series on this very topic and thought I'd share it here. The series is entitled, "The Power of Absolute Surrender" by Dr. James MacDonald. You can click HERE to access the full series. (I'd picked up only Tuesday's message but plan to listen to the entire series myself.) I hope it touches you as it did me!

"If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor." John 12:26

post signature

No comments: