Tuesday, April 21, 2009

encourage honesty in your home

As parents, we are entrusted with the daunting task of raising our children. Not only must we be there to guide and protect them as they grow physically, but emotionally and spiritually as well.

Like I said: daunting.

I am thankful for the opportunity to connect with other moms, especially those who have been in my shoes before. (As a side note, Hosanna! will be starting up a new group for moms this fall - click HERE for details.) Books, websites, parenting seminars, and the Bible - have all proven to be valuable resources as well.

And believe you me, I need them all.

An issue we've been dealing with in our home as of late, has been lying. With a background of secrets and addiction, I place a high premium on honesty. However, it seems the more I push the bigger the issue becomes. God has been making things pretty clear - my way is not working.

I realized it's possible to actually encourage dishonesty, simply by how we discipline. It's something I'd even heard once from a child therapist friend. Interestingly enough, Supernanny expert Dr. Victoria Samuel seems to offer up the same idea (click HERE to learn more). As does Christian apologist and author, Josh McDowell. Click HERE to read an excerpt of his book, The Father Connection: How You Can Make the Difference in Your Child's Self-Esteem and Sense of Purpose (Right Your Wrong).

I am a staunch advocate of consistent parenting, which is why I tend to lean most heavily on God's Word for advice. Circumstances change, our kids change but thankfully God never does.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

post signature

No comments: