Sunday, July 31, 2011

life and death

Pastor Ryan's sermon last weekend was a well-timed reminder of our tendency to take time for granted. We all assume there will be another day, another month, another year. His admonition was to stop procrastinating - take care of what needs to be taken care of TODAY because the inevitable reality of life, includes death.

It had me thinking all week. How am I spending my time? What really matters to me? Does the way I spend my time reflect that? And then something horrible happened. A wonderful young man passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and many are grieving in the wake of his loss. I had the privilege of photographing his wedding last summer and have been reflecting on the very precious nature of time. And of living and loving with intention.

Because that reality Pastor Ryan spoke of last weekend.

photo

Is sadly unavoidable.

Pastor Ryan told us he'd been working on his sermon as if it were the last sermon he would ever preach; there was a sense of urgency as he spoke, his words were filled passion and conviction.

I want to live what is left of my life with that same sort of urgency, passion, and conviction. I don't want to merely go through the motions. I want to seek God's purpose for my life and find beauty in it every day. I want to own up to what I need to immediately, forgive quickly, and play with my kids more. How about you? Have you ever taken a moment to think about what you want your life to reflect? What really matters to you in the big scheme of things? Does yours need an adjustment like mine does? I think the key isn't getting caught up in the past or future - it is living for TODAY.

post signature

2 comments:

Lori V said...

Tina, it is so true how sometimes we take life for granted until we realize how short life may actually be. Our neighbor lost her battle to cancer this last week at the age of 39 leaving behind 4 young kids...it really speaks to you when there is tragedy and it makes you stop and recognize what you have and what you truly need.

Tina Vega said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor, Lori. You are so right... how easy it is to get distracted from what truly matters.