Wednesday, September 14, 2011

to journal or not to journal

stack o' journals

Let me say this right up front...

from alice

I love to journal.

spiral notebooks

Not only do I love to journal, I love to turn others on to it as well.

little bit fancy

A self-professed journal-pusher, that's what I am.

more journals

It began in my teen years with a simple spiral notebook. I had a lot of "issues" back then and journaling gave me a place to express myself in an authentic way. It also helped me put perspective on many things that seemed overwhelming at the time.

Fast forward 27 years. I still have a lot of "issues" and journaling gives me a place to express myself authentically while helping me put perspective on the things that seem overwhelming. My journaling over the years has evolved; at one time or another (sometime all at once), it has been the following:
  • a sounding board
  • a place to vent
  • a place to pray
  • a friend
  • a place to explore
  • a mirror
  • a place to dream
  • an organizer
  • a place to make lists
  • a place to be real
  • a place to create
  • a place to remember
    Journaling helps me to SLOOOOW DOWN, something not easily accomplished these days. It helps me to live a little more intentionally instead of getting swept up in daily routines. It helps me to appreciate where I am at RIGHT NOW instead of looking back at this time five years from now, wishing I could turn back the clock to really live it.

    Journaling gives me insight into my Life Story and helps me recognize God's presence in it. It gives me a place to talk with God, a place to track significant seasons in life, to help me to remember things I never want to forget and to help process the things I wish I could.

    Journaling is DA BOMB. But don't just take my word for it. Click HERE for a list of health benefits related to journaling and HERE for "100 Benefits of Journaling" (an INCREDIBLE list of pros) and HERE for ideas on getting started. (You will also find a few journaling ideas on my blog as well by clicking HERE.) If you're anything like me, nothing is more inspiring than a cool journal. Click HERE and HERE and HERE for upcycled cereal box journals (yep, you heard me right). Click HERE for something a little fancier and HERE for something more subdued.

    Now just grab yourself a pen and cup of coffee...

    post signature


    Dee said...

    Thanks for including our unique cereal box spiral notebooks in your great blog!! We appreciate it!! At Port Elizabeth Village we have a unique mix of one-of-a-kind notebooks/journals that are just waiting to become your special journal!!
    To see more items visit our site at
    Thanks!!!! Dee

    Tina Vega said...

    You are very welcome! I'll be linking up to you a little bit later as well because I have a special project in mind for the two notebooks that I ordered :)